Alzheimer’s Disease Taking Joanne Woodward

Joanne Woodward Tackling Alzheimer’s Disease

Joanne Woodward, legendary actress and widow of actor Paul Newman, is battling Alzheimer’s disease. According to sources close to the family, Woodward faces a grim prognosis.

Joanne Woodward Alzheimer's disease

Woodward’s first film was a post-Civil War Western, Count Three and Pray, in 1955. She continued to move betweenHollywood and Broadway, eventually understudying in the New York production of Picnic, which featured her future husband Paul Newman. The two were married in 1958, after their work together in the film The Long, Hot Summer. By that time, Woodward had starred in The Three Faces of Eve (1957), for which she won the 1957 Academy Award for Best Actress.

She graduated from Greenville High School in Greenville, South Carolina in 1947. Woodward won many beauty contests as a teenager. She appeared in theatrical productions at Greenville High and in Greenville’s Little Theatre, playing Laura Wingfield in their staging of The Glass Menagerie, directed by Robert Hemphill McLane. She returned to Greenville in 1976, to play Amanda Wingfield in another Little Theatre production of The Glass Menagerie. She had also returned in 1955 for the premiére of her debut movie, Count Three And Pray, at the Paris Theatre on North Main Street. Woodward majored in drama at Louisiana State University, where she was an initiate of Chi Omega sorority, then headed to New York City to perform on the stage.

Joanne Woodward’s health decline comes at a hard time within the family as Paul Newman’s children have reportedly been fighting over their father’s estate. The Paul Newman family is currently at war with each other over the “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” stars multi-billion dollar estate. Newman’s family members are clearly upset that the bulk of his estate was left to his wife Joanne Woodward and his various selected charities. Sources close to the Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward family stated:

“Prior to his death, he gifted each of his five daughters with an inheritance of $5 million. He felt the girls were all successful and didn’t have to rely on family­ money. “But the girls are now suddenly sensitive to how much Joanne is worth, and they’re concerned that she may cut them out of her estate entirely and leave every dime to charity.”

Joanne Woodward

As Joanne Woodward is fighting for her life, the children are battling over the Newman fortune. Joanne Woodward was married to Paul Newman for five decades before he died of lung can­cer in 2008.

Woodward and Newman share three daughters – Nell, 53, Lissy, 51, and Clea, 47. Newman also has two daughters from his first marriage to Jackie Witte, Susan, 59, and Stephanie, 58. Paul Newman was proceeded in death by his son Scott, who died from a drug overdose in 1978 at the age of 28.

Such a shame at this time in her life Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman’s children are fighting over money. It’s anyone’s guess what Joanne Woodward planned in her will.

Neurological diseases known as dementia are the fastest-growing cause of death in the world. Women are twice as likely to contract the disease as men. Some regions of the world are being struck especially hard. The Alzheimer’s disease epidemic is spreading exponentially because of misinformation and mismanagement. Patients, caregivers, family members and millions of other stakeholders deserve the truth. The epidemic is much worse in some regions of the world than others. The reasons will shock you.

Alzheimer's disease and caregivers

What’s causing the Alzheimer’s disease epidemic?

public relations firm Alzheimer's disease

Crossbow Communications specializes in issue management and public affairs. Please join our coalition to help reform practices that are contributing to the Alzheimer’s disease epidemic.

About Gary Chandler

Gary Chandler is an author, advocate and strategist on health and environmental issues.
This entry was posted in Alzheimer's Disease, Alzheimer's Disease Causes, Alzheimer's Disease Diagnosis, Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms, Alzheimer's Disease Testimonials and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Alzheimer’s Disease Taking Joanne Woodward

1. Abbas Haghayegh says:

I am a 32 male psychologist of Iran.I am very very very interest to Joanne Woodward.I am very sad for this news.I always hope to see Joanne in close. Unfortunately I am in a other side of world.I think, their daughters should not be selfish.if it is approximately impossible ,I wish drug of Alzheimer is discovered and made. oh, my loved actress and personality ,I could not believe this news.I love you to always

• lee says:

Hello you said that so lovely to joeanne what a beautiful lady she is ! Her children should be a shame of themselves to be so greedy when there are staring homeless people in the world Paul’s 3 children daughters should hold there heads in discrace ! Shame shame shame on them and praying they don’t get anymore money

2. Betty Jones says:

so many wonderful years together, and with such successful careers, After all of that it is such a sad shame that it comes to this. I just pray that whatever remains of her life is surrounded by love, and patience and dignity

• Jos van Santen says:

Betty, there are many stories going around about this so-called fight, I for one believe little of them. Just like Joanne and Paul their daughters seem to have lived very private lives, so I can’t imagine they would do such a thing, at least not in a way the public would get to know about it.

I totally am with you in your hope Joanne is treated with love, patience and dignity, by her family and by everyone around her.

3. Don Ventura says:

The one time I “almost” met Joanne Woodward was around 1952. I was in a rehearsal studio in Carnegie Hall waiting to meet a friend when I saw this very beautiful young blonde… our eyes met and for maybe 5 minutes we couldn’t take our eyes off each other. Unfortunately the friend I was waiting for showed up and I left, losing my chance to meet her. Only a few weeks later she popped up again most unexpectedly in a drama on the TV screen…. she was terrific and I once again regretted having missed the opportunity to meet her when I could have. Years later, In 1955, she popped up a third time: this time on the movie screen in her first movie opposite Van Heflin, “Count Three & Pray”. She was wonderful …. I saw every movie she ever made after that… remaining always a secret admirer. It saddens me deeply to learn that she suffers from Alzheimer’s.

4. Scottie Lamb says:

I am so sorry to hear of Joann’s illness. I grew up in South Ga. and had read she was originally from Thomasville, Ga. I always admired her so much and loved every movie she was in, especially Three Faces of Eve. I thought it was wonderful that she and Paul Newman had such a wonderful marriage and set such a good example for others. I pray her children and friends will be good to her.

5. D says:

It grieves me . But we need to know that nothing is wasted in King Jesus’ kingdom.
    As long as there is breadth there is purpose even if we do not see it. So sad to slowly fade away as far as we can see on this side of eternity. I pray during this time Mrs. Newman will be fully aware of the presence of the Almighty and her heart completely his.
    D

6. kaz fleszar says:

this is sad news just shows how fleeting life is, we should treasure every moment while we re here, all good things come to an end as they say. on a more uplifting note ,they will be together again soon, what a day that will be. we re all to loved by god for death to be the end of it if you have hope its worth more than money .never give up hope.

7. Tracileadixon says:

Bless you Ms. Joanne.aka Miss Varner.

8. Dorothy Taylor Cahill says:

I am so sad for her, and I have prayed that out Father in Heaven will shower her with His love. I pray that when her mind was sharper – she loved and trusted in him. I agree with that other writer. We are to share what God blesses us with. If the places the Newmans shared their wealth with was in keeping with God’s will, He will see that His will is done. Paul and Joanne’s children have been greatly blessed. If they are wise and use their blessings wisely – they will never want for anything. But they have no right to ALL their parents earned; it was their parents to do with as THEY wanted. I pray their hearts will be softened, and they will care for their mother with much gratitude and love.

9. Janis says:

Its nobody’s business but the families. Don’t care what the will was business. who said they are fighting? And the money from both estates should be equally divided between all children and charities. Don’t care what the will says people get weird right before they die anyway.

10. Sharon Davis says:

I have long loved the Paul and Joanne love story! For two such talented actors to find a life long devotion to each other was heartwarming! It makes me so sad that Joanne has lost her memories of her Paul is heartbreaking! I pray for peace for her and the daughters, may God see them through this difficult time!

11. Christine says:

Think of ms, Woodward often. She is a remarkable woman no matter what this disease has stolen. My mother had the same disease and yet I know my mom was in there and I remember all the wonderful things she did for my 3 sisters, my dad and many others that never knew her generous spirit.
    I understand the pain her children are going thru and I hope they will be able to hold on to all the beautiful memories they share of their mother. No one need judge them.

12. Cathy Rhea Loeb Davis says:

I have always been a fan of Joanne and Paul both. Just read about her battle with alzheimer disease and am heartily sorry to know she is going through this. I hate this particular disease almost worse than any because how it not only effects the person diagnosed but all their loved ones who must stand by helpless and watch their deterioration. My prayers will be with you all….

13. Ellen Loganes says:

Years ago I saw Paul and Joanne at Westley Woods Nursing Home on Clifton Road about 5 or 6 times while I was visiting my mother, who had Alzheimer’s. They were visiting Joanne’s mother who also had Alzheimer’s. They came often from California to Atlanta for just that reason. If Alzheimer’s is inherited I am plenty worried. I would kill myself before I ‘d go through what my mother did. I hope a new medicine will stop it. If not, I hope Joanne Woodward will go gently into that good night, without pain and with peace. (Dylan Thomas was wrong.)

14. Alice Mason says:

I am saddened to hear of her struggle with Alzheimer’s. What a beautiful and talented lady she is. I hope and pray the “children” will abide by their parents’ wishes, and make her last days comfortable and loving.

15. Roxane Morris says:

With all do respect to Ms Newman, my concern is for her children….it has been said that when you lose your mother you lose your best friend. Well, I know this to be true. Within just the last few years we have lost a lot of our Stars that have given us all a part of their own lives just to entertain us, (the FANS)!
    I guess what I’m saying is this, i shall pray for you girls and your families wishing you all a long life like your parent had. Because they had a very good happy and full life. Now-a-days that is so very hard to come by.
    Life’s imperfections are cruel to all mankind. My wish for you all is a blessed life. You girls don’t miss a moment of your mothers life because when she goes to sleep in death you will truly miss your mother & best friend.

This ones for you Ms. Newman, thank you for sharing your husband & your own life with all your beautiful talent. I have enjoyed watching your talent on TV. My favorite shows was Sibll & The Three Faces of Eve.
    May you be blessed, & take it easy…

16. Karuna Raina says:

When will people get a reality check that no one lives forever and no one takes any materialistic objects or money with us, after passing. Joanne and Paul’s daughters should cherish every precious moment loving their mother and each other!!!!

17. Mrs. Elizabeth E. Rayot says:

Joanne was a wonderful, wife, mother and actress. Her and Paul were meant to be.
    So sorry she is going through the battle of Alzheimer’s. Hopefully her children will
    see the need to give her the love and care she needs at this time. Their parents
    left them ample to live on. They have so many memories of growing up together and
    they should dwell on that. You can’t’ take it with you, children. Live it like your parents wanted it. Don’t be greedy. Be kind, giving and loving. I’m sure your Mother was able
    to see the love and goodness in you before she fell ill.

18. kathy minet says:

Its so sad it came to this. Paul Newman had his camp . He loved giving , she always with him. Don’t let her legacy change . Let people see her as she was witty , beautiful and so in love with Paul. Do with the money as you know she would of wanted. You will all meet again . I know the love they had for each other is strong. He will come for her . I doubt if he will let her suffer.